[QE-users] Band gaps from SCF vs NSCF calculations

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed Aug 28 19:57:17 CEST 2019

Several possibilities - simplest is that the SCF calculation is done
with a coarse mesh, and the top of the valence and/or the bottom of the
conduction are not located at points on this mesh.

[BTW, they do not need to be located, either, along the path you chose
to plot the band strcture]

Try with a mterials that has a direct band gap at Gamma, using unshifted
sampling meshes (e.g. 6 6 6 0 0 0)

nicola