[QE-users] Best way to batch process xsf files

Felix Mayr felix.mayr at tum.de
Wed Aug 28 11:53:20 CEST 2019

Hey Chris,
I'm not sure, if you've solved your problem yet, but I guess it's
possible with ASE
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/ase/ase/visualize/visualize.html#plotting-iso-surfaces-with-mayavi
(provided you've got a working installation of VTK+mayavi and you
probably need to change a bit for offscreen-rendering). I also wrote
some python code to read in the (malformatted ;)) QE-xsf-files and
convert them to VTK datastructures. Additionally I have some really
horrible (thought I'd write some meta-programming based code to make the
vtk-module more pythonic...) code using VTK to do batch rendering of xsf
files (which might have some dependencies to the hard to install and
somehow deprecated tk-binding of VTK...).

TL;DR: my code is really groce, but if you have a working installation
of VTK 8.1+ for Python (I also have easybuild+spack-files for that...)
including the ability to do offscreen-rendering (and ideally running the
TK-bindings), I might have some solution for you.

Best
Felix