[QE-users] Looking for systems that are difficult to converge with SCF

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de
Wed Aug 14 10:21:35 CEST 2019

Dear John,

I don't know if somebody already answered but I have some general input:
What I found really difficult to converge are magnetic systems with SOC
(i.e., full-relativistic calculations with unpaired spins).
A typical example I was interested in (even if I cannot provide an input
atm) are 2D transition-metal dichalcogenides with
adsorbed single-molecule magnets such as metal-phthalocyanines or
porphyrins. I guess the problem is also due to the size
of the systems but you could also try a heavy atom on top of a chalcogen
defect which reduces the system size.

Other system could be systems with 2 different stable charge states if
you use DFT+U but there I don't have an example.

Regards

Thomas

On 8/12/19 8:35 PM, John McFarland wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I'm trying to find systems that are difficult to converge with SCF.
> This includes systems where the energy will fluctuate with SCF
> iterations, or systems that converge to a local minimum or excited
> state.  Any info on where I could find or produce such systems, or
> even actual input files, would be most welcome.
>

> Best regards,
>

> John McFarland

Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Brumme
Wilhelm-Ostwald-Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Leipzig University
Phillipp-Rosenthal-Strasse 31
04103 Leipzig

Tel:  +49 (0)341 97 36456