[QE-users] Pressure difference from the vc-relax and SCF

Mofrad, Amir Mehdi (MU-Student) amzf5 at mail.missouri.edu
Tue Apr 30 15:28:25 CEST 2019

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions (please see below). I apologize if this post is repetitive. The previous posts/tutorial slides on the internet didn’t address these.

The value for pressure at the end of vc-relax converges to zero, but right after that, in the SCF cycle it gives a different value. Doesn't it do the SCF cycle on the converged structure? If yes, then why is the pressure different? I think I read somewhere that one uses a fixed number of plane waves, whereas, the other one uses a fixed Ecut. Do you know why this is?

What is the physical meaning of this pressure (being negative or positive) from an scf calculation on an optimized structure from vc-relax output?

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas you have.

Best,

Amir M. Mofrad

Graduate Research Assistant

Graduate Teaching Assistant