[QE-users] Addition of an electron.

大谷実 minoru.otani at aist.go.jp
Thu Sep 6 22:18:38 CEST 2018

Dear Andrey,

I can only answer how the starting_charge(i) parameter works.

If you want to calculate isolated NaCl pair in some case, you can start a SCF calculation with ionized Na and Cl atoms by setting starting_charge(i=Na)=1.0 and starting_charge(i=Cl)=-1.0. This initial charge configuration might accelerate the SCF convergence.

Please remember that starting_charge parameter just changes the "initial" charge on certain atom. It is not a constraint for a population of an atom during a SCF calculation. This parameter is atomic charge version of starting_magnetization which changes the "initial" spin polarization on certain atom.

Besrt regards,
Minoru

Minoru Otani
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology,
Research Centre for Computational Design of Advanced Functional Materials
E-mail: minoru.otani at aist.go.jp
tel : +81-29-861-5202