[QE-users] Minimum lattice parameter calculation for Manganese

Michael Mehl mmehl at usna.edu
Tue Oct 30 15:10:17 CET 2018

As pointed out by Giuseppe Mattioli, the ground state (A12) of Mn has a bcc
lattice, but not a 1 atom per unit cell structure.  You can find the input
for the (29 atom) A12 structure, here:

http://aflow.org/CrystalDatabase/A_cI58_217_ac2g.html

and for the high temperature, 20 atom beta-Mn phase (A13), here

http://aflow.org/CrystalDatabase/A_cP20_213_cd.html

Go down to the bottom of the page and click on QE Output (badly named),
which will give you the CELL_PARAMETERS and ATOMIC_POSITIONS sections
needed to run pw.x.  These have the experimental positions,

More on the magnetic behavior of alpha-Mn can be found here:
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.68.014407

[image: USNA_Gold_Seal.png]

Michael J. Mehl, Ph.D.

Kinnear Chair in Physics