[QE-users] DFPT of thin metal layer: convergence has not been achieved

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Tue Nov 6 14:41:07 CET 2018

Dear Chris,

I do not know what the origin of your problem may be. What I can say is that it is probably not a good idea to run such a relatively large computation just to evaluate the vibrational properties of a thin metal layer. A smarter approach would probably be to compute interatomic force constants using a thinner slab (the range of the force constants is likely 2-3 bond lengths in Cu), and than to use the ab initio force constant to build a model for a slab of any thickness … By the way the size of the vacuum region is likely also an overkill …

SB

—
Stefano Baroni - Trieste —  http://stefano.baroni.me <http://stefano.baroni.me/>