[QE-users] ESM calculation with tot_charge in QE

Honghui Wu hhwuaa at connect.ust.hk
Fri Mar 9 18:38:38 CET 2018

Dear all,

Can we use the charged system (tot_charge= a finite value) with the
vacuum-slab-vacuum boundary condition (esm_bc = 'bc1') in Quantum ESPRESSO?

In the OpenMX website, I find the ESM developer writes 'ESM.switch =
on1: Both ESM (I) and (II) are semi-infinite vacuum media. In this case,
note that the total charge of a calculation system should be neutral.
The keyword 'scf.system.charge' should be set to be zero.'.
However, I did not find the similar description of the esm_bc= 'bc1' :
Vacuum-slab-vacuum (open boundary conditions).  Does it mean we can use
the charged system (tot_charge= a finite value) with the
vacuum-slab-vacuum boundary condition in Quantum ESPRESSO?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Hong