[QE-users] Error related to point group symmetry

Pietro Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Tue Jul 31 12:02:34 CEST 2018

Dear Anindya

for static pwscf computations the result should be the same no matter if
some symmetry is actually used in the program or not. The set  of
k-points used for the Brillouin-zone sum will be larger when symmetries
are discarded right in order to preserve all the  actual symmetries  of
the system.

When the symmetries are not enforced explicitely, there can be some
small numerical error which step by step can spoil the structural
relaxation. So  i would  perform the relaxation using the use_all_frac
options and then use the obtained structure to perform  an scf
computation setting use_all_frac = .false.  The total energy obtained in
this latter calculation should be the same as the one obtained in final
computation performed at the end of the relaxation.

You can then use the scf calculation with use_all_frac = .false. to
startup the phonon calculations.