[QE-users] ?==?utf-8?q? Recover phonons frequencies from the eigenmodes

JAY Antoine Antoine.JAY at isae-supaero.fr
Sat Jul 14 11:09:56 CEST 2018

Dear Lorenzo,
As X I convert the atomic displacement to meters:
(R0+i*0.01*U)*alat*au2meters
where alat is the unit cell parameter (in a.u.)
au2meters convert a.u to meters.
R0/i*0.01U is in alat units (cubic cell)

as Y I used the enery obtained in Ry ploted in Joules
so d^2E/dXdX is in kg/s^2.

I think that the difficulty of obtaining someting comparable is in the divison by the masses to obtain a result homogeneous to 1/s^2 (omega^2)

In fact the dynamical matrix is filled by 1/sqrt(M_ati*M_atj) d^2E/dRatidRatj

So the equivalent mass for the eigenmode obtained by diagonalising the matrix must be more complicated than just the reduce mass?

If all my atoms are the same I just have to divide by one mass, but if not....

Antoine