[QE-users] Magnetic anisotropy energy in QE 6.3

Marcos Veríssimo Alves marcos.verissimo.alves at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:32:16 CEST 2018

Thanks for the tip, Cyrille. Should it be increased in the SCF calculation
or in the NSCF one? I would suppose the latter, but of course it's good to
hear the opinion of an expert before wasting human and computer time.

Indeed, there's this paper by Daalderop et al. for bulk Fe, Ni and Co (if
I'm not mistaken) where they highlight this - 100^3 k-points! I suppose
that this would be equivalent to having a 100 x 100 x 100 Monkhorst-Pack
grid?

>From your experience, maybe you could comment on the number of k-points
needed for my particular calculations. The system am working on is a Fe
adatom on a Cu2N surface over Cu(100). I am using a quite large vacuum
layer, of about 18 Ang, along the z direction of a tetragonal cell - would
a dense mesh of k-points then need to be considered only for the kx and ky
directions of the BZ?

Best,

Marcos