[QE-users] DFT+U and surfaces -- convergence

Cococcioni Matteo matteo.cococcioni at epfl.ch
Mon Jul 2 10:08:20 CEST 2018

Dear Roberto,

in addition to what Lorenzo has already suggested, one more thing to try is to switch on the value of U in small steps. you start from a small value, e.g. 0.01 eV which should go to convergence as smoothly as a plain DFT run does, then you read potential and wavefunctions and start another run at a bit larger value of U, converge it, restart at a larger value of U and repeat until you reach the value you want to use.
In many case where convergence is difficult this helps (even though it may take some steps).

Hth.

Best,

Matteo