[Pw_forum] Shall we calculate some of the parameters by USPP and some other properties by norm conserving PP for same compound?

Eduardo Menendez eariel99 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 15:23:35 CET 2018

Dear Sudha,
One expects that all the pseudopotentials lead to the same electronic
structure that an all-electron calculation. Small numerical differences are
expected.
This page is useful https://molmod.ugent.be/deltacodesdft for better
understanding
You should test that the density of states or the bands, are "the same"
computed with both sets of peudopotentials. There will be small numerical
differences. You should also check the lattice parameteres. Variations
smaller than 1% (using the same xc functional) are reasonable. To compute
optical properties with the NC you may use the relaxed structure obtained
either with USPP or with NC. Small numerical differences are also expected
and are acceptable. Care is needed if the differences become  qualitative.
If you use the USPP structure, with NC the same strusctire is stressed, and
the stress and  cause splitting of some levels and some peaks in the
optical properties.
Best regards
Eduardo