[Pw_forum] nspin values

Krishnendu Mukherjee krishnendu.mukherjee789 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 07:44:44 CET 2018

Dear Dr. Daniele,

 Thank you very much for your detailed reply to my question regarding
Fourier interpolation for DFPT.

 I am trying to replicate the results of your article, "Thermoelastic
properties of alpha-iron from first-principles" published in PRB 91,
104105, in 2015.

 I used the pseudo potential Fe.pbe-spn-rrkjus psl.0.2.1.UPF, and other
values of parameter (e.g. wavefunction kinetic-energy cut off of 90 Ry
etc.) as mentioned in the first two paragraphs of the section : III.
COMPUTATIONAL DETAILS AND PSEUDOPOTENTIAL SELECTION.

I have coupled thermo_pw.0.8.0 with QE-6.2. The script file I used is:

cat > thermo_control << EOF
 &INPUT_THERMO
  what='scf_disp',
  nq1_d=128,
  nq2_d=128,
  nq3_d=128,
 /
EOF
cat > fe.scf_disp.in << EOF
 &control
   calculation = 'scf'
   prefix='fe',
   pseudo_dir = '$PSEUDO_DIR/',
   outdir='$TMP_DIR/'
 /
 &system

ibrav = 3, celldm(1) =5.217, nat= 1, ntyp= 1,
    ecutwfc = 90.0,ecutrho = 1080.0,
 occupations='smearing', smearing='marzari-vanderbilt', degauss=0.005
    nspin = 2
    starting_magnetization(1) = 0.5
        /
 &electrons
    conv_thr = 1.0e-16,
 mixing_beta = 0.2
 /
ATOMIC_SPECIES
 Fe 55.847 Fe.pbe-spn-rrkjus_psl.0.2.1.UPF
ATOMIC_POSITIONS (alat)
 Fe 0.0 0.0 0.0
K_POINTS {automatic}
 24 24 24 1 1 1
EOF
cat > ph_control << EOF

 &inputph
  tr2_ph = 1.0e-16,
  prefix='fe',
  fildyn='fe.dyn',
  ldisp=.TRUE.
  nq1=4, nq2=4, nq3=4,

/
EOF

With the above input the generated fe.dyn.g1.1 dynamic matrix has negative
values of frequencies.

 I guess I am not using the correct value of nspin. as according to pw.x
input description, nspin = 2, is for:

 spin-polarized calculation, LSDA
  (manetization along z axis)

However, for the GGA functional (Fe.pbe-spn-rrkjus_psl.0.2.1.UPF) I do not
know what is the value of nspin I should be using.

So, my question is kindly let me know the value of nspin I should use.
Also, if possible, please let me know if any other parameters I have input
has incorrect values or needs improvement.

Thanking you,
Best regards,
Krishnendu