[Pw_forum] Problem in SCF convergence

Cococcioni Matteo matteo.cococcioni at epfl.ch
Wed Feb 21 19:00:06 CET 2018

Besides checking the cutoffs, you could try to lower the convergence treshold for the first scf calculation to make sure that forces and stresses are not totally crazy (actually, you should be sure they are converged with cutoffs too). Also, it could make sense to lower the initial trust radius. If you get not so accurate forces and stresses and the amplitude for the first move of ions and cell is too big your system could end up in a crazy configuration (it moves by much in the wrong direction) for which the scf cycle on charge density is not easy to converge.

Best,

Matteo