[QE-users] Some simple questions on calculating DOS

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Thu Dec 13 14:51:55 CET 2018

Dear Zhao Yuan,

On 13/12/2018 14:42, Zhao Yuan Leong wrote:
> 1. Is it normally better to define k-points manually or to do it
> automatically? If its manually, how does one normally determine which
> points to take in k-space?

A safe starting point is to have for each crstallographic directions
a density corresponding to 0.15 1/Å, using 0.02 Ry of cold smearing.

You might need a higher density/more k-points, in rare cases, and often
less - you should test carefully if mission critical - see here for an
overview: http://theossrv1.epfl.ch/Main/ElectronicTemperature

> 2. Regarding the DOS/band calculations, how does one normally determine
> the pathway in reciprocal space for the DOS calculations? I've read that
> these are along the high symmetry points - if so, how do I determine
> them and do I get them from the literature or some crystallography
> database. Would on then write a script to interpolate along these points?

Thanks to Giovanni Pizzi and co., this problem is fully solved. Just
use this: https://www.materialscloud.org/work/tools/seekpath

			nicola