[QE-users] How to carry out a series of simulations at the same time and output the stress and energy to one file?

Minho Lee mino at simulation.re.kr
Tue Aug 28 12:18:02 CEST 2018

Dear Hao Chen,

I think linux command “grep” and “tail" may helpful for you.

For example, if you have several job directories and each direcotires have standard output file named “job.out”,

You can get final energy of one job with following command

grep “total energy” jobdir/job.out|grep “^!”|tail -n 1

You can also use above command in for loop (bash script)

for i in jobdir1 jobdir2 jobdir3
do
grep “total energy” jobdir/job.out|grep “^!”|tail -n 1
done

for loop can also be used when you submit your multiple pw.x jobs

for celldim in `seq 10.0 0.1 10.4 `
do
mkdir cell_${celldim}
cat > cell_${celldim}/in.pw.x << EOF
&CONTROL
calculation ='scf',
verbosity = 'high',
restart_mode='from_scratch',
pseudo_dir='/home/mino/psp',
outdir='output',
tstress = .true.,
/
&SYSTEM
ibrav = 1,
celldm(1) = ${celldim},
nat = 8,
ntyp = 1,
ecutwfc = 35,
ecutrho = 280,
occupations = 'fixed',
smearing = 'gauss',
degauss = 0.02,
nosym=.true.,
noncolin=.true.,
lspinorb=.true.
nbnd =50,
/
&ELECTRONS
conv_thr = 1.D-6,
mixing_beta = 0.3,
/
&IONS
ion_dynamics = 'bfgs',
/
&CELL
cell_dynamics = 'bfgs',
cell_dofree = 'volume',
/
ATOMIC_SPECIES
Si 28.0855 Si.UPF
ATOMIC_POSITIONS (crystal)
Si 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000
Si 0.00000 0.50000 0.50000
Si 0.50000 0.50000 0.00000
Si 0.50000 0.00000 0.50000
Si 0.75000 0.25000 0.75000
Si 0.25000 0.25000 0.25000
Si 0.25000 0.75000 0.75000
Si 0.75000 0.75000 0.25000
K_POINTS automatic
1 1 1 0 0 0
EOF

cd cell_${celldim}
mpirun -np 28 /usr/local//src/qe-6.3/bin/pw.x < in.pw.x > job.dat
cd ..

done

Good Luck :)

Minho Lee