[QE-users] Transferred hyperfine coupling constants in TM-oxides

Kris Harris kris.harris at mcmaster.ca
Wed Apr 18 20:22:45 CEST 2018

Thanks for the reply and the PP.

I had hoped to get close here given Mali et al. reported such excellent
agreement for this exact system using your code in 2010. Though thanks for
the hint tip that I may not find continued agreement with other systems at
this level of theory.

I tried the alternate PP you sent and get somewhat different results,
though the two calculations are closer to each other than either is to the
experiment.  Perhaps this suggests I am doing something wrong?

The Capsoni paper I mentioned has:
Li1:       A = 4.32 MHz
Li2/Li3: A = 2.13 MHz/ 2.07 MHz  (crystallographically very similar)

Reading chemical shifts from Fig. 4 of Mali et al's Quantum Espresso
calculations and using their Eq. 1  (approximate as magnetic susceptibility
not known) to convert A values yields:
Li1:       delta = 1425 ppm       --> A = 4.14 MHz
Li2/Li3: delta = 800/760 ppm  --> A = 2.33/2.21 MHz (for the 2 sites)

The results I get with this new PP are (Li1 here is the site well-known to
have the larger A value):
     ----- Fermi contact in MHz -----
               bare            GIPAW           core-relax      total
     Li   1       -9.209256        8.650557        0.000000       -0.558699
     Li   2      -12.302726        4.367716        0.000000       -7.935010
     Li   3      -12.374583        4.261266        0.000000       -8.113317

They aren't too sensitive to ecutwfc. Interestingly, the "GIPAW" term is
nearly exactly double the correct answer. I sort-of get the idea of your
core-relaxation theory, but I haven't managed to read anything to
understand the breakdown into the "bare" vs "GIPAW" components.

thanks for any further insight,
Kris