[Pw_forum] Raman activities with QE

Leonid Kahle leonid.kahle at epfl.ch
Thu Sep 28 19:51:29 CEST 2017

Dear All,

I am calculating Raman spectra for a crystal structure with the
second-order response as implemented in the phonon-package, and have 2
questions that are blocking me at this moment:

  - It is mentioned in the slides of QE-tutorials and in the source code
(dynmat.f90 subroutine RamanIR) that the formula for the Raman
cross-section is taken from D. Porezag, M. R. Pederson, Phys. Rev. B 54,
7830-7836 (1996), but I do not see that the Bose-Einstein statistical
factor is implemented as given in Eq. (5) of that reference. Was that
omitted for a reason or am I looking at the wrong part of the code?

- Secondly, the Raman intensity is given for the non-polarized isotropic
case. I am working with a crystalline material and was wondering whether
anyone has a script to calculate the Raman scattering taking also into
account polarization of incident and scattered beam.

That would be most helpful. Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

     Leonid Kahle

--

Doctoral Assistant