[Pw_forum] Supercell size in phonon calculations

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Sep 6 12:06:54 CEST 2017

On 06/09/2017 11:22, Charlie Ruffman wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have recently become interested in how the size of the unit cell in
> phonon calculations effects the results produced by the calculation
> (Raman spectra in particular). It seems that increasing the number of
> atoms explicitly simulated should also increase the number of normal
> modes calcuated?

It does. these are hovewer modes that would correspond to a q/=0 in the
original primitive cell... as such they should be raman-inactive.
The calculation in the supercell, if properly done (same cutoff,
equivalent k-points, sufficient scf convergence) should be exactly
comparable to the superposition of the results in the primitive cell for
the q-vectors that map into the Gamma point of the supercell.

stefano