[Pw_forum] Problems Computing Cholesky for VC-Relax of MnO2

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Sat Sep 2 09:48:11 CEST 2017

On 01/09/17 23:04, Lance Kavalsky wrote:
>     nspin=2,
>     lda_plus_u=.TRUE.
>     hubbard_U(1)= 3.9
>     starting_magnetization(1)=0.5
>    starting_magnetization(2)=-0.5

I would be that it is the GGA+U correction that is causing problems, not
the position of the atoms. Does your calculation converge without the
+U? Does it converge wit ha very small +U value?

I also think, your smearing is a bit large for the number of k-points
you have, this should not be a problem for convergence, but can affect
the accuracy of your results.

>     diagonalization = 'cg'

Don't use CG, it is slow and does not converge "better" than davidson.

Why does everyone use CG diagonalization first thing when they have the
slightest problem? (It is a serious question, if it is in some tutorial
somewhere that tutorial needs to be corrected!)

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6