[Pw_forum] Problem with normal modes of NO gas phase

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Mon Nov 20 21:18:49 CET 2017

Dear Francesco,

to follow up on Paolo's advice, I would do this:

1) freeze the molecule - i.e. do not relax it.

2) tighten the 2 thresholds a lot -  conv_thr
and tr2_ph (i.e. make them smaller by one order of magnitude, two, etc...).

3) use sssp pseudos: http://materialscloud.org/sssp/

The tables show exactly what is the convergence of the phonons with
cutoff (for molecular solids in the case of N and O),
using the scripts from

http://materialscloud.org/sssp/downloads.html

where you can find all the parameters we used

4) once you feel you are in control on the cutoffs and tolerance
thresholds, you can start relaxing the molecule. In order to get
very accurate results there, you need to have a very tight criterion on
the relaxation, as well.

				nicola