[Pw_forum] Acoustic sum rule in 2D surfaces

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Thu May 25 08:56:16 CEST 2017

On 25/05/17 07:19, Charlie Ruffman wrote:
> On a related topic, we were interested in how the choice of supercell
> size might influence the vibrational modes we calculate. For instance,
> looking at a the smallest repeatable unit of our system naturally
> yields fewer vibrational modes than simulating a cell of 2 or 3 times
> the size. We were wondering whether allowing the extra freedom
> associated with a larger cell might actually map worse
> onto experimental results?

Hi,
unless there is something that breaks symmetry (like a defect,
substitution, long-range spin order, charge density wave...) the
supercell will give exactly the same result as the unit cell. It is even
possible to map (aka unfold) the supercell phonon dispersion to the unit
cell one, although I cannot recall the name of any specific tool that
does it at this moment.

regards

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto