[Pw_forum] xanes quadrupole xspectra

Hud Wahab hudwahab at gmail.com
Tue May 9 05:21:56 CEST 2017

Hello QE community

I have been running xanes_dipole calculations for graphene on QE 5.4.0 and
get sigma*-intensity in graphene larger than pi*-intensity in the
calculation. In contrast, in my experiments, pi*- is larger than
sigma*-intensity.

I was hoping maybe by using xanes_quadrupole I can get the intensity ratios
the right way around.

I have problems running xanes_quadrupole, the following is my input file

&input_xspectra

        calculation = 'xanes_quadrupole'

        prefix = 'gc'

        outdir = './'

        xonly_plot = .false.

        xniter = 1000

        xcheck_conv = 50

        xerror = 0.001

        x_save_file = 'xspectra.save'

        xiabs = 2

        xcoordcrys = .false.

        xkvec(1) = 0

        xkvec(2) = 0

        xkvec(3) = 1

        xepsilon(1) = 1.0

        xepsilon(2) = 0.0

        xepsilon(3) = 0.0

/

&plot

        xgamma = 0.2

        xnepoint = 1000

        xemin = -10.0

        xemax = 40.0

        terminator = .true.

        cut_occ_states = .true.

/

&pseudos

        filecore = '/home/549/hxw549/Short/graphene/C.wfc'

        r_paw(1) = 1.0

        r_paw(2) = 1.0

/

&cut_occ

        cut_desmooth = 0.1

        cut_stepl = 0.01

/

8 8 1 0 0 0

EOF

The xspectra output has an error of writing the following line repeatedly
until my output file is about 8 Gb large and eventually the calculation ran
out of time.

   | For PAW proj. (l=2) #*: radial matrix element =   0.000000000

I haven't found any information in the mail forum regarding xanes_quadrupole
calculation. Does anybody have any experience with running quadrupole
calculations with xspectra? Am I doing something wrong? Please advise.

-Hud

UNSW Canberra