[Pw_forum] End of SCF - convergence NOT achieved

Ben Palmer benpalmer1983 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 15:40:20 CEST 2017

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I've been using antiferromagnetic
state with -0.3, 0.3,-0.3,0.3 as starting points.

This is the link to my input files:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZUTmvZXUrJtJhfNwjJBevtM8nudf6lUr1X

I think I've identified a couple of problems.  I was originally using
ibrav=0 and had manually set the crystal axis.  When I changed this to
either ibrav=6 or ibrav=14 it started to converge (this is with the
atoms set in the exact FCC locations).

However, I've started to break the symmetry by varying the positions of
the atoms slightly.  This all worked fine with nspin=0, but it seems a
lot trickier now that magnetism is involved.  I tried a calculation this
morning where I slightly moved just four of the 32 atoms.  There was no
symmetry, but the calculation did finish.

Using exact locations, the calculation ran in about ~15 minutes with 20
iterations (my input/output files are test_010.in and test_010.out).
With the four slightly perturbed atoms the calculation completed in 3.75
hours with 53 iterations (my input/output files are test_013.in and
test_013.out).

If I perturb every atom slightly, it fails to converge after 250 iterations.

Thank you,

Ben