[Pw_forum] End of SCF - convergence NOT achieved

Tom Daff tdd20 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 28 14:14:56 CEST 2017

Hi Ben

It would probably be helpful to see your input file, as there are many
difficulties with iron and it could be any one of them!

What magnetism are you using? FCC iron is most stable in antiferromagnetic
double layer spin state (unless you are willing to look into spin-spiral),
and around the equilibrium volume there is a crossover in stability of the
high-spin and low-spin ferromagnetic states and I've found it difficult to
get convergence if you are off with the starting spin.

I've found that mixing_beta = 0.1, with the default mixing scheme gives me
the most efficient convergence, and increasing the number of k-points can
sometimes help too.

Tom Daff

University of Cambridge