[Pw_forum] convergence problem and non conventional variation in energy

aprateek at iisermohali.ac.in aprateek at iisermohali.ac.in
Tue Jun 13 15:14:58 CEST 2017

Hi All,
I am trying to optimize lattice parameter for phosphorous sheets of 36
atoms with "P.pbe-n-kjpaw_psl.0.1.UPF" pseudopotential.
While varying lattice parameter a from 8.4 to 11.5, with
"occupations='smearing', degauss=0.02, smearing='gaussian'" keyword, we
got reverse trend in energy. I`ve attached the graph as an attachment.

When the calculations were resubmitted without "occupations='smearing',
degauss=0.02, smearing='gaussian'" keyword, some jobs got converged but
most of the jobs are not converging even after 1000 iterations.

If we plot the variation of energy w.r.t. variation in parameter a, we got
kink at 10.3.

Pl reply with your suggestions.

Prateek Ahuja
Phd(Chem), IISER-Mohali