[Pw_forum] Pseudopotentials for non-local optimized vDW-DF functionals

Ary Junior aryjunior at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 15:30:12 CEST 2017

Hi,

The file Modules/funct.f90 is well commented and the user is invited to
read it in the documentation. For example, if you chose input_dft =
'vdw-df', the internal indices will be forced to be

    iexch = 1 ! Exchange
    icorr = 4 ! Correlation
    igcx = 4 ! Gradient Correction on Exchange
    igcc = 0 ! Gradient Correction on Correlation
    inlc = 1 ! Van der Waals functionals (nonlocal term only)
    imeta=0 ! Meta-GGA functionals

When generating your PP with the ld1.x code, this same module is used and
if you set dft = 'PBE' you have

    iexch = 1 ! Exchange
    icorr = 4 ! Correlation
    igcx = 3 ! Gradient Correction on Exchange
    igcc = 4 ! Gradient Correction on Correlation
    inlc = 0 ! Van der Waals functionals (nonlocal term only)
    imeta = 0 ! Meta-GGA functionals

And if you set dft = 'revBPE' you have

    iexch = 1 ! Exchange
    icorr = 4 ! Correlation
    igcx = 4 ! Gradient Correction on Exchange
    igcc = 4 ! Gradient Correction on Correlation
    inlc = 0 ! Van der Waals functionals (nonlocal term only)
    imeta = 0 ! Meta-GGA functionals

So, notice that if you use a PP generated with dft = 'PBE' and set
input_dft = 'vdw-df' in your pw.x input file, the gradient correction on
exchange used in your solid-state calculation and the one used to generate
the PP are not the same. So, I think you must generate you PP with dft =
'revBPE'. The gradient correction on correlation will be the same of PBE,
but in the solid-state calculation it will be replaced by the non-local
correlation contribution as implemented in the file Modules/xc_vdW_DF.f90.
Try to follow the same logic for other values of input_dft. With respect to
the PPs, you can start from the pslibrary

http://www.quantum-espresso.org/pseudopotentials/pslibrary/

Ary Ferreira

FAPESP postdoctoral fellow
UFSCar - Brazil