[Pw_forum] Symmetry recognition

Louis Fry-Bouriaux ellf at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 20:02:05 CET 2017

Hi Pascal,

     When I first started using QE 6.0 not long ago I had trouble using crystal_sg, I suppose you have the Wyckoff positions of your atoms. What I did was use the VESTA program which allows you to input Wyckoff positions and it will correctly generate the cell as long as other options are correct. I then exported to an xyz file and converted the coordinates in angstroms to internal crystal coordinates ('crystal' option) using:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_coordinates

Fractional coordinates - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_coordinates>
en.wikipedia.org
In crystallography, a fractional coordinate system is a coordinate system in which the edges of the unit cell are used as the basic vectors to describe the positions ...

Which worked perfectly for me. This is easily done with a Python script or something similar!

Kindest regards,

Louis