[Pw_forum] PW.x homogeneous electric field berry phase calculation in trigonal cell

Louis Fry-Bouriaux ellf at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 02:45:05 CET 2017

Thanks Lorenzo I hope so too, I think the best references are Examples 4 and 10, I have this tendency to just go ahead once I get something working, need to work on that :P

    Indeed I have reproduced almost exactly what you have said. What I can confirm when using bp_c_phase (no electric field):

- all gdir work, only gdir=3 has a notable improvement in performance.

- when gdir=3, up to 4 processors scaling is good, on 8 it is terrible it actually takes longer, WALL time is notably larger than CPU time.

- the call to 'CALL mp_sum(aux_g(:), intra_bgrp_comm )' is made when gdir != 3.

My current understanding is that mp_sum takes the trace of the 'aux_g' matrix, whereas for gdir=3 there is significantly less code that ends up building the matrix 'aux' which is finally used to build 'mat'. The matrix 'evc' represents the wavefunctions built using plane waves, but 'evc' is used in many files. Since bp_c_phase is executed last, 'evc' has already been built and is only read in this file. With this and comparing the output I notice that performance when gdir=3 is better for almost all routines.. I will continue debugging tomorrow on the 8 processor machine where the differences are much more noticeable.. Do you think I should contact Paolo Giannozzi directly to better understand what is going on here?

Thanks so much [??]

Louis