[Pw_forum] band-structure calculations in slab-vacuum geometry: how to find the "surface k-path"?

Christoph Wolf(신소재공학과) chwolf at postech.ac.kr
Sat Apr 29 09:43:50 CEST 2017

Dear all!

I have come across an impasse  and I am hoping for some stimulating input…

I work on CsPbBr3 (cubic unit cell, a=5.6 A). I construct a  vacuum (5L)-slab (7L)-vacuum (5L) (L=layer numbers in multiple of the lattice constant in z-direction) symmetric slab (exposing the 100 CsBr terminated surface) and calculate the SCF/NSCF after a relax run. During relaxing the surface layer moves slightly “into the vacuum”, by ~5% (d12) and the next layer moves  slightly inwards by ~2% (d23). Pp.x gives nice electron density surfaces and potentials (plot_num=0,11);

Now I wanted to plot the band-structure to investigate the influence of slab geometry on the band-structure but I am (shameful!) not sure how to define the k-path in order to get a “surface” band-structure. Frankly speaking, I am not entirely sure that would be even physically meaningful, but I have seen similar calculations for other slab geometries  (e.g. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.09262.pdf).

I attached the input file to the nscf calculation (i.e. after the relax run) to illustrate the geometry, any help is greatly appreciated!

Yours,
Chris

Postech University
Materials Science and Engineering