[Pw_forum] Total forces not converging: relax calculation

Daniel Reta daniel.reta at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 18:45:31 CEST 2017

Dear Josue,

Thank you for your answer. If I may, Ill answer point by point.

Concerning the representation of the system in XCrysden. I am using crystal_sg to specify the coordinates, indicating the appropriate space_group. When I open the output file of a converged scf with XCrysden, the cell contains the atoms as the original cif files. The only difference is that when I try to switch the Unit of Repetition from Unit Cell to translational asymmetric unit, nothing changes and the atoms outside the unit cell do not appear in the interior. I assumed this had to do with the fact that I'm reading the output; Is there something wrong in this?

Concerning the type of calculation. I want to compute phonon dispersion at the gamma point. That is why I am using norm-conserving pseudopotentials. And in a first approach I do not want to change the cell parameters, only to relax the atomic coordinates in the unit cell. So yes, I would stick to 'relax' calculation.

The system contains a lanthanide atom, which might be the cause for the behaviour different from the standard cases. Is there any particular keyword I could play with to affect the convergence of the total forces?

Cheers

Dr. Daniel Reta,
Post-doctoral Research Associate,
Computational Chemistry, School of Chemistry
University of Manchester

Email: daniel.reta at manchester.ac.uk