[Pw_forum] Why projwfc.x gives all zero pdos result while kpdos

Mitsuaki Kawamura mkawamura at issp.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Apr 13 04:54:14 CEST 2017

Dear Dr. Balabi

> So this is a bug to be fixed in 6.2, right?
Yes, Prof. Gainnozzi fixed this at the developing version yesterday.

> "The tetrahedron method is presently not implemented"
Sorry, this description should be updated.

> "tetrahedral-opt"  better in any case than "tetrahedra"
* For the DOS computation, "tetrahedra-opt" is advantageous.
* For PDOS, DFPT, and the electron-phonon coupling, "tetrahedra" is not implemented because the tetrahedron method with the Bl\"ochl correction is not applicable. "tetrahedra_opt" is available.
* For the total energy and the charge/spin density, sometimes I found "tetrahedra" shows a little faster k-convergence than "tetrahedra_opt".
* For the structure optimization, "tetrahedra" is not recommended because it is not variational. Although "tetrahedra_opt" does not have such a problem, sometimes charge-sloshing appears during the optimization and it makes the SCF-convergence worse. "smearing" is the robust method.

Best regards,
Mitsuaki Kawamura