[Pw_forum] QE version for windows

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 20:26:34 CEST 2017

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Paolo Giannozzi <p.giannozzi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's not "abolished", but it depends upon the good will and time
> availability of somebody who knows (or is willing  to learn) how to do
> it

​yes, and the person who did this in the past, doesn't have the time to
play catch-up with ​all the changes to QE to make it work reasonably on
windows anymore.
i think building QE from source directly using Cygwin is still supposed to
work, but it requires a good understanding of a unix build environment
*and* the incompatibilities of windows with unix as well as the
restrictions of Cygwin.

the existing windows installer packages, instead were built on Linux using
cross-compilers. this avoids many of the windows specific issues of the
build process, but requires a better understanding of the compilation
process. on top of that, you have to learn and understand how to setup and
deploy software using NSIS installers.

i am happy to share my notes and scripts that worked for me on older
versions of QE, but i will not hand them to people with limited knowledge
and am not able in any way to support those and provide additional
explanations. in short, if don't have the experience and skill to figure
out on your own, how this kind stuff works, don't bother to ask me.

​axel.​

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0