[Pw_forum] Image charge interaction

Ilya Ryabinkin igryabinkin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:02:06 CEST 2016

Thomas:

> I don't know of any way of introducing a image charge in the
> metallic slab by hand...

well, I would envision a "quick-and-dirty" implementation as follows:
determine the position of a "mirror plane", which has to be somewhere
closeby to the surface of a real slab, add classical forces to the
dynamics from the potential U(d) = -1/2d (in au) where d -- is a
normal distance "pseudoanion--mirror plane". Electronic structure
calculations are totally unaffected, merely the dynamics is. I can
hack verlet code and add these forces directly to the forces() array
in the propagation step.

The reason I'm looking for the problem---currently my Cl- pseudoanion
flies off the surface even if it has a tiny non-zero component of
velocity in z direction. The image charge would stop it (which is the
physics behind that I'm missing).

Of course, I'm totally for the "rigorous" solution of the problem,
which, I believe is the constrained DFT with U determined
variationally. But you and others already pointed out numerous related
issues this solution might bring in to the problem. I shall definitely
look at these options but later.

Thanks for the discussion anyway! If anyone has other ideas -- please,
join the discussion!

--
I.

--