[Pw_forum] Negative Phonon Dispersion after geometry optimization twice.

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed Sep 7 10:57:19 CEST 2016

Are they negative at gamma, close to gamma, or somewhere.

If somewhere else, you have a phase instability and a soft phonon mode
(if it's a
charge density wave, not evident say GGA will be good enough). Read the
literature.

If at gamma, you haven't used one of the sum rules that forces it to be
zero.

If very close to gamma, it is a known problem, due to the high
sensitivity to
numerical noise for quadratic (typically) phonons that would have almost
zero energy.

				nicola