[Pw_forum] Restarting phonon calculation with images, possibility of changing the number of images

Ye Luo xw111luoye at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 18:26:47 CEST 2016

Hi Thomas,

It could work but not really solve your problem in the best way.
The ph.x first decide how to distribute the q+irr calculations among the
images without knowing whether individual q+irr is done or not.
Then it starts the calculations including checking whether the calculation
has already been done.
So it is highly probably that you still end up with one image finishes way
eariler then other images.

I noticed the speed between different q can be very different. you can
check the number of k points used for each q.
The speed between different irr belonging to the same q is similar.
To use my resource more efficiently, I prefer the Grid way of computing by
breaking the whole calculation by q and then distribute irr among images.

Ye

Ye Luo, Ph.D.
Leadership Computing Facility
Argonne National Laboratory