[Pw_forum] Ge.pz-hgh.UPF

Gabriel Greene gabriel.greene87 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:08:39 CEST 2016

Hello,

After converting the pseudo on https://www.cp2k.org/static/potentials/ from
CPMD format to UPF using cpmd2upf.x from QEv5.2.0, and then running in
pwscf, I realised it may be the same pseudopotential as Ge.pz-hgh.UPF on
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/pseudopotentials
<http://www.quantum-espresso.org/pseudopotentials/about/>.

However, now I am a bit confused because in the CPMD format it says

&END
 &POTENTIAL
     GOEDECKER
 3                                    LMAX

Which I thought would indicate that lmax is 3. However after
converting to UPF, it says lmax="2" in the PP_HEADER section. Assuming
converting between formats doesnt change the actual pseudo, then is
the definition of lmax different for CPMD compared to UPF?

Also, the number of wavefunctions is 0 in the pseudo I converted from
CPMD (Ge_GTH_LDA_fromCP2K.UPF in attachments), and it is 3 in
Ge.pz-hgh.UPF... and obviously the entries in PP_PSWFC sections are
completely different (missing in Ge_GTH_LDA_fromCP2K.UPF...), as are
the charge density PP_RHOATOM sections of the files. In Ge.pz-hgh.UPF,
there are orbitals generated with ld1.x, so again I thought the
pseudos must be generated differently after all..

Yet they yield very similar results (total energies, bandgaps, relaxed
lattice constants, see attached inputs and outputs). Comparing the
pwscf outputs I see that the starting point for SCF was superposition
of atomic orbitals for Ge.pz-hgh.UPF and totally random wfcs for
Ge_GTH_LDA_CP2K.UPF. So I am assuming because of the similarity of the
potentials, the resulting self-consistent densities and potentials
after iterating to convergence end up to be the same, despite the
different starting wfcs.

Yet I am still unsure about how Ge.pz-hgh.UPF was generated. Looking
at the non-local projectors of this file, the cutoff radius of for
e.g. 1S is

cutoff_radius="3.893327136974858E+000"

and the cutoff radius of the valence orbitals (PP_CHI), taking 4S as an example

cutoff_radius="1.876811407389333E+000"

I would have thought the cutoff radii of core orbitals which are to be
pseudized should be smaller than the r_cutoff of the resulting valence
pseudo orbitals? What are the units are these cutoff radii?

Please let me know if I am misinterpreting something. I would really
appreciate any help on this.

Gabriel,

Research Associate,

Atomistic Simulation Centre,