[Pw_forum] multiple ph.x runs with same outdir

Sridhar Sadasivam sridhu88 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 09:20:49 CEST 2016

Hello,
I'm splitting a phonon calculation with many q-pts into multiple
independent calculations using the start_q, last_q options (basically
manual image parallelization). Is it necessary that these runs have
separate 'outdir'? The wavefunctions from scf occupy a lot of memory and
I'd prefer not to copy them separately for each of the phonon calculations.
Is it possible to run these different phonon calculations with the same
'outdir'?

I guess the code creates a separate directory $prefix.q_$qpt for each of
the q-pts under $outdir/_ph0 directory -- so I believe that shouldn't be an
issue. However, the status_run.xml will be simultaneously written by
multiple jobs -- that may be a problem I guess?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sridhar