[Pw_forum] Estimate time for relaxing bigger unit cells?

dario rocca roccad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 18:45:19 CEST 2016

Dear Tomas,
Since you need to relax several 64 atoms cells the best estimate is to
relax it once to be sure that it converges and to have an accurate estimate
of the time. However, consider that a 64 atoms cell close to equilibrium
might converge much more rapidly than a cell far from equilibrium.
A calculation involves several different mathematical operations with
different scaling. When the system is big the operations with the worst
scaling dominate. When the system is small instead even an operation with a
good scaling can take an important percentage of the total computer time.
I'm not sure I would try to guess the time for 64 atoms from a 8 atoms
cell.
Best,
Dario