[Pw_forum] Parallel execution

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 17:56:03 CEST 2016

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Kanak Datta <kanakeee08 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear researchers
>
> I have been facing problem while running quantum espresso in parallel
> format. I have been using the code:
>
> mpiexec -localonly -np 8 pw <Si.scf.inp> Si.scf.out

i don't think that this exact command line could have ever worked.
to the best of my knowledge, the -localonly flag is only available for
windows, and then it *replaces* the -np flag and takes the number of
processes as an argument.

> The code seemed to work fine. However, when I run the same code now, I get
> the following message:
>
> Unknown option: -localonly

that means, either you installed a different MPI library, or are
running on a different machine (using a different OS?).

> I am trying to run espresso version 5.3 compatible to mpich2 64 bit. I think
> the problem is with mpi.
>
> Can anyone help in this regard? has anyone else faced this issue before?
> Apart from mpi, what else can be used to perform parallel execution on
> windows platform?

MPI is the thing and it works. it has little to do with windows, but
with the application you use.

axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0