[Pw_forum] SPIN

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Thu Nov 17 09:30:25 CET 2016

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 12:47:16 AM CET ashkan shekaari wrote:
> Dear experts,
>
> Is starting magnetization necessary to have a full spin-orbit coupling?
>
> What value should it take on?

I'm not 100% sure, normally you need a starting_magnetization to break the
initial time reversal symmetry and allow the system to polarize, however if
I'm not wrong, this is breaking of symmetry is always present when using full-
relativistic pseudopotentials with spin orbit coupling (are you?)

Anyway, it is just a starting value and the system *should* converge to the
the same ground state regardless of the choice. Just set it to some small
numbe, i.e. 0.01 and have a try.

Not that starting_magnetization is defined per atomic *species* not per atom,
and it goes from 0 (atom is non-magnetic) to 1 (the atom is as polarized as
possible in its isolated atom configuration).

I try to clarify with an example.  Let's say you have an Oxygen atom, with
valence configuration 2s2 2p4. If you set starting_magnetization=0, then the 2
2s electrons will be one spin up and one spin down, the 4 2p electrons will be
2 spin up and 2 spin down, total=0. If you set starting_magnetization=1, then
the 2s electrons will still be one up and one down, because there is no other
way to do it, but the 2p electrons will be 3 spin up and 1 spin down, for a
total magnetic moment of 2 Bohr magnetons

hth

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6