[Pw_forum] London Dispersion force: DFT-D2

Martin Andersson ma at nano.ku.dk
Tue May 3 10:56:54 CEST 2016

Hi Elliot,

Indeed, standard DFT-D2 does overestimate adsorption on metals, but a modified DFT-D2 version that I published doesn’t ;)

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jtc/2013/327839/ <http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jtc/2013/327839/>

I haven’t tried adsorption onto Ni surfaces specifically, but bulk Ni properties came out fine and adsorption on quite a few other metals (including Pt, Au, etc) gives quite reasonable results. In fact, it would be quite interesting for me to see if adsorption on Ni behaves as well as other surfaces, so by all means, try it out.

I don’t use the vdw functionals in my research and have only read up on their progress briefly, but as far as I understood, they were not able to handle spin polarised systems initially, like Ni. Can anyone enlighten me on the status of vdw functionals for spin polarised calculations?

Cheers,
Martin P. Andersson
Associate Professor
Nano-Science Center, Department of Chemistry
University of Copenhagen, Denmark

Tel: +45 3532 0280
Mobile: +46 733 893091
E-mail: ma at nano.ku.dk