[Pw_forum] cell_dofree

Federico Gallino Federico_Gallino at saes-group.com
Mon Mar 21 11:53:41 CET 2016

Dear All,

I write you about an issue I found in the use of the cell_dofree option.
I want to make a variable cell optimization by fixing the lattice angles and varying only
the lattice axis lengths. It should correspond to cell_dofree = 'xyz' but it doesn't work
for any cells I tested.
Below you can  find the input.

Moreover, a more general question concerns the constrained optimization: is it possible to
impose a constrain on two or more lattice parameters so that they can vary of the same
amount? This for example would allow to optimize a cubic cell that for convenience becomes
orthorombic by applying a supercell: after a constrained optimization where the lattice
parameters ratio are constrained, you will get still a cubic symmetry even though you
worked on an orthorombic cell. Is this possible in your opinion?

Thanking you in advance,

Federico Gallino

!test
         &CONTROL
	       title = 'sampleA' ,
	 calculation = 'vc-relax' ,
	  pseudo_dir = '/QUANTUM_ESPRESSO/espresso-5.0.2/pseudo/' ,
	      prefix = 'sampleA' ,
	   verbosity = 'default' ,
 /
 &SYSTEM
	       ibrav = 0,
           celldm(1) = 16.11503102 ,
		 nat = 32,
		ntyp = 3,
	     ecutwfc = 27 ,
	     ecutrho = 270 ,
	 occupations = 'smearing' ,
	    smearing = 'cold',
	     degauss = 0.03 ,
 /
 &ELECTRONS
    electron_maxstep = 200,
	 startingpot = 'atomic' ,
	 startingwfc = 'atomic' ,
	 mixing_mode = 'local-TF' ,
	 mixing_beta = 0.2 ,
     diagonalization = 'david' ,
 /
 &IONS
	ion_dynamics = 'bfgs' ,
	 phase_space = 'full' ,
 /
 &CELL
       cell_dynamics = 'bfgs' ,
	cell_dofree = 'xyz' ,
 /
CELL_PARAMETERS alat
   0.000000   0.707107   0.707107
   0.707107   0.000000   0.707107
   0.707107   0.707107   0.000000
ATOMIC_SPECIES
ATOMIC_POSITIONS   angstrom
K_POINTS automatic
3 3 3   0 0 0

This message and any attachments are confidential, privileged and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s).
Any unauthorized review, use, reproduction, disclosure, modification and/or dissemination is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying immediately to this message.
Do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.