[Pw_forum] Restart pw.x in a different machine

Malicious Scientist scientist.malicious at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 19:37:38 CET 2016

Hello Community,

I would like to know if it is possible top stop a pw.x run, copy to files
to a different machine, and then restart the computation.

For example, to stop the execution, I would create a $prefix.EXIT file on
the working directory (just like described at
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/pw_user_guide/node19.html
).

After that, I would copy the entire working directory, including the
scratch dir, to a remote server with the same version of QE installed. Then
I would restart the computation setting the 'restart_mode' flag to
'restart' at the CONTROL namelist.

Is this supposed to work? If so, may I restart the computation with a
different number of CPUs?

Thank you for your attention.