[Pw_forum] Question regarding CPU consuming on QE jobs

veronica sanchez veronicasanchez210 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:22:03 CEST 2016

Hi,

I received an alert for the system manager of the cluster here due to the
excess of the system CPU consumption of the jobs I am running using the QE
code. As far as I understand it is running not in the best way and
calculation may be slower than it should be.

I will set the OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1 and look at the system CPU behavior. I
will let know the result.

Thank you very much for the answers,

Verónica

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Suchit <such.engr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Veronica,
> Setting the number of threads to 1 will help and I recently found myself
> that on my system the calculations were running much slower at the default
> value for OMP_NUM_THREADS. In addition, you should also make sure that
> you're specifying good parallelization parameters. The web-page below
> provides some tips and also some symptoms of less than ideal parellization.
> Hope this helps!
>

> http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/pw_user_guide/node18.html
>
> Best Regards,
> --Suchit