[Pw_forum] absorption spectrum &dielectric constant of turboTDDFT

dario rocca roccad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 02:24:17 CEST 2016

Dear SungHwan,
please refer to
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1402.0486.pdf
and
http://urania.sissa.it/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1963/5797/turboTDDFT-CPC.pdf?sequence=1
for more details.

In the output of the postprocessing chi_1_1 is the xx component of the
dynamical polarizability, chi_1_2 the xy component, etc.
Often chi is indicated as \alpha in the papers.
Specifically you would have

Component      energy of the perturbation      real part of
chi                          imaginary
                      (indicated either as E or \omega)
chi_1_1=          0.000000000000000E+00     0.955769346791472E+01
0.000000000000000E+00

As you correctly say the absorption spectrum is related to the imaginary
part of the average of chi multiplied by E (the energy E is often
indicated as \omega).
This averaged quantity is contained in S(E). Specifically S(E) is the
strength function defined as
S(E)=2m/(\pi*e^2*\hbar) * E*Im[chi(E)], where chi has been averaged over
the 3 spatial directions.
This definition is convenient because S(E) satisfies the f-sum rule.
So if you extract S(E) and plot it you will have the absorption spectrum.
Let me know if it's still not clear
Best,
Dario