[Pw_forum] Visualizing Quantum Espresso

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Mon Jul 11 11:16:22 CEST 2016

On Tue, 2016-07-05 at 20:58 +0000, Mofrad, Amir Mehdi (MU-Student)
wrote:
> Dear all Quantum Espresso users and developers,
>
> I am aware that Xcrysden is a tool for visualizing the input and
> output files of QE. However, I was wondering if this tool has a
> feature to show vibrational modes of a molecule or a crystal.

The program dynmat.x generates the XSF file with all vibrational modes.
These are stored as "forces" in the XSF file, which means that in
xcrysden you can see them via "Display-->Forces" menu. The vibrational
modes will be then displayed one at a time with "arrows".

For the description of the dynmat.x program and its input, see the
beginning of PHonon/PH/dynmat.f90 source file.

Best regards,
Tone Kokalj
--
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
(tel: +386-1-477-3523 // fax: +386-1-251-9385)