[Pw_forum] relaxation: mistake in finding the lowest energy structure

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Jul 1 18:07:58 CEST 2016

Finding the global minimum of a system may be difficult. Relaxation converge to the nearest local minimum. Chemical intuition may help to make good guesses but sometime it is not enough.

Simulated annealing would be a general purpose very expensive often overkilling never guaranteed approach

Random sampling, Genetic or evolutionary algorithms are other approaches used

stefano
(sent from my phone)