[Pw_forum] About Surface energy convergence

Bipul Rakshit bipulrr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 06:42:10 CET 2016

Dear PWscf Users,
In surface studies,for the slab calculations, the number of slabs is chosen
with the convergence of Surface energies. So what is the typical
convergence value I have to choose. I find some papers where the authors
choose upto 5 milli-J/m^2 (PRB 86, 075460 (2012). They  take the case of
Fe(001)/Au(001). These are basically the cubic structure.

What about the bit more complex structure like Zn(0001)/Au(111), where the
lattice mismatch is considerable and the structures also. Is the ~5
milli-J/m^2 accuracy essential, or we can set some upper limit of this
convergence value.

--
Dr. Bipul Rakshit
Research Associate,